Thursday, October 2, 2014

Flurries

The energy of pre-Yom Kippur is almost palpable.  Hillel likes to climb on my mattress (mine is the last remaining bed that I have yet to assemble) and turn on my radio.  The host encourages people to call in and dedicate songs to friends to whom they may owe an apology -- Yom Kippur is almost here, it's the perfect time.  Don't let your ego get in the way, she says.   There are older Israeli songs, some classics from before my time and some that I remember from the 80s growing up here.  And then a set of pieces from the Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur davening.  Shoshana was in when a Sephardic version of "Adon HaSelichot" came on and she started singing along because despite claiming that she doesn't learn anything in school, she had learned it in school.   When I called to schedule a driving lesson, the driving teacher said to call back after Rosh Hashana.  Kids are off from school every "Erev Chag" in addition to the chagim themselves, and all of Chol hamoed.  Everyone is planning family trips, advertising house swaps and getaways on the various listservs and inviting friends and family for the many meals.

The constant tension between the sublime and the mundane is highlighted by my daily efforts to unpack a few more boxes, assemble furniture and keep the kitchen clean while simultaneously contemplating my life choices and trying to engage in intense personal growth.  I know this is a chapter of life in which my attentions are largely needed outside of shul and I hope I am doing my best to take advantage of the season.

On the mundane front, I assembled two beds this week, one storage closet, unpacked several boxes worth of books and clothes and scheduled a follow up meeting with our contractor so we can maybe get the work started before I had hoped it would be finished... The yard will remain a big brown square until after next RH since we didn't have enough time to make decisions and plan what we wanted to do before RH came and Shmittah started.  Now we have plenty of time to think about it!  Tiferet has found an app that allows for designing spaces with furniture/ paint etc. and she says there's a landscape version so we'll play with that.

We are making progress on planning Tiferet's Bat Mitzvah which is a different sort of affair here since the shul experience is so different.  Shabbat davening is quicker, over by 10:30 and there's no drasha, the kiddush is in the very bright sun and is a smaller affair with Yerushalmi Kugel, cake and drinks.  (And pickles, of course).

We visited the print shop which is conveniently located in Neve Daniel, and Tiferet enjoyed picking out invitation designs and benchers.  I will scan and post when they come in.  I think we have found a caterer and we're using the local hall here on the Yishuv.

It's so beautiful and spacious here.  The beauty and the spaciousness both feel out of sync with the suffering and intensity of the political dimension.  If I ever get to write a paper on the topic it will be titled "The effect of cognitive dissonance on the shaping of political narrative."  I would be interested in learning more about that.

Anyway, here's to a peaceful and healthy year. Thinking of so many friends in CA and wish I could call you more often, or even send a direct email!  Wishing you well,

Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment